3 VL70m

Post here your generic questions...
virtualflute

3 VL70m

Post by virtualflute » Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:24 pm

Bonjour VL70m users,

I am a WX11 player and i finished a handmade kit of 3 VL70m, coupled with a MOTU ultralitemk3 and a MFC10 pedalbord.
I just installed today the last version of VL-WIzard 5.0.5a and i just want to share my experimentations...
and all is good !
My english is not very very good ! so i prefer to post 2 pictures of my configuration ;-)

At this time, i just load the sound from 2 VL, the third is a Patchman VL, can't load voices :-(
I test recently the kit in a jam session, i love it ! but i need to find/seek others combinations of voices/chords...

Next time, i will improve voices of my selection of VL70m sounds with the help of VL-Wizard...
Best regards.
Attachments
VL70-m.png
VL70-m.png (426.59 KiB) Viewed 2299 times
VL70m WIZ config.jpeg
VL70m WIZ config.jpeg (144.51 KiB) Viewed 2299 times

VL-Wizard

Re: 3 VL70m

Post by VL-Wizard » Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:38 pm

YES...now we are talking...great information sharing.... glad to see somebody unlocking the real power of VL... The cool thing about your setup is that you can play 3 voices in poly or unison...that is VL-Heaven
Another synth able to do this is the Yamaha ES90 ...I have such synth and stuffed 3 PLG100VL cards in it...it's a VL-powerhouse.......

About the patchman VL70m......loading voices from the VL-Wizard library into the VL70m with turbochip works without any issues...the only restriction (requested by patchman) is that the VL-Wizard does not allow loading/editing/viewing Patchman voices (sorry for that)...but hey, many other good voices are available, the Bill Bush, Wietze Krikke library....and when I finished the tutorials I will build some new voices (using my experiences of playing a real sax since several months)

I did start publishing Youtube tutorials....check out the VL-Wizard youtube channel....

---
Tip: About not seeing "hi" on the VL70m display...you need to select the VL unit number 1 to 8 when doing the communication test..
for the VL70m slot 1, use unit n° 1,
for the VL70m slot 2, use unit n° 2,
for the VL70m slot 3, use unit n°3,
select DevNumber.jpeg
select DevNumber.jpeg (29.53 KiB) Viewed 2288 times
keep posting....very much appreciated....
Rudy

doggyaugie

Post by doggyaugie » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:45 am

Hi,

That setup is awesome, thanks for sharing!

I have been looking into exploring advanced options for my two PLG150s in my S90ES. I usually only use one at a time - I tried a polyphonic VL once and wasn't impressed, but that was before having access to all the parameters VL-Wizard opens up. I'd like to explore that again.

I've had trouble setting it up correctly (see next paragraph) but for the OP who has multiple units working already, have you played with EXPERT (instead of UNISON or POLY)? Is it at all possible to have VL-Wizard control two independent VL70m's (i.e. each in mono mode) at once, and make it like a two-part two-timbre VL70m? Is that what EXPERT mode is for?

As for my issue (forgive me if this should go in its own topic or support), I usually have PolyExpand set to off. Should I expect that to turn on (via Sysex) when changing setting to POLY? I have the S90 Sysex folder correctly set up. Could it be that S90 Sysex doesn't work on S90ES synths? I don't mind comparing the reference manuals for each to compare, but I want to make sure I know what to expect when adjusting these changes via VL-Wizard.

Thanks,
augie

VL-Wizard

Post by VL-Wizard » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:09 am

About the S90ex....I have the S90 (a version below)

This is all tricky stuff....but let me try to explain

The first thing to check is the version of your VL-Wizard. You need 5.0.5b3
When all communication is correctly setup and your S90 is set to Voice mode then the VL-Wizard welcome message should scroll on the S90 display when pressing the small T - test button next to the corresponding midi out port (see VL-Wizard settings).

You can benefit from the User SysEx feature in the VL-Wizard. This feature allows you to send your own specific initialisation SysEx to your synth. I did include the Zip file contain SysEx initialisation I use. It also contains a readme explaining the syntax.

Let me try to explain the S90 setup
- make sure S90 Poly expand is ON
- switch our S90 to Voice mode
- assign to each PLGVL card an unique device ID
- set the VL-Wizard in Unison mode and set the Total Units = 2. This will allow you to fake two MONO PLGVL.
- set the Midi-Out ports 1 and 2 - pressing the small button T will test the incoming and outgoing connection with your S90.

- store the attached initialisation file into a folder on your computer
- in the VL-Wizard settings, set the SysEx List field to point to the folder you just created
- as of now the round button with the Up Arrow icon should enable (see main control panel of the VL-Wizard)
- press this round Arrow Up button to show the contents of the User SysEx folder.
- click on the appropriate init file to send the sysex to your S90

- you should see in the VL-Wizard main control panel (below) the voice slot selector (up to 8 voices). In this case only 2 slots can be selected. Selecting one of these will switch the editing buffer of the VL-Wizard towards the loaded VL Voice.
- DoubleClick on the voice selector slot number 1 or 2 will open the Voice Browser.
- The name of the loaded voice should appear on the S90 display.

EXPERT mode should not be used...I did implement this in the early version but you can achieve same with UNISON mode.

Hope this helps....
Rudy
VL-Wizard Initialisation Files.zip
Init files
(15.71 KiB) Downloaded 77 times

doggyaugie

Post by doggyaugie » Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:42 pm

Hi Rudy,

Yes, thank you, this does help because I must have had an old S90 sysex folder, the one I had consisted of a bunch of different commands that made me think PolyExpand can be set this way from VL-Wizard, but none showed up in the User Sysex List window. Additionally, I believe I did have it set correctly once before while testing but never looked for the slots at the bottom window...

However, there are a few followup questions I have - on the S90ES it is impossible to have different single-part PLG cards be on different MIDI ports (over USB) from each other, so I have them separated in the VL-Wiz Device Assign by channel (channels 2 and 3). Should the THRU CHANNEL setting under MIDI IN be set to OMNI in this case? I guess I'm confused at how two voices with different timbres set to two different channels can sound when I know from experience (setting up Studio Manager and PLG editors) that the S90ES only responds to one MIDI channel when in VOICE mode - should that one be the THRU channel instead? Or am I thinking too much because it's an awesome feature of VL-Wizard that it does this for me behind the scenes or something?

Ultimately all this comes from my previous experience using two instances of VL Visual Editor program independently while the S90ES was in MULTI mode (one was set to each PLG's Part). Each Visual Editor instance would send the edited voice to its PLG's bank of user board voices (i.e. one of 6 custom VL elements), and switching output channels on the ES would switch which PLG I was playing (not in UNISON). From the XG part options being in the settings, I'm guessing maybe this is what EXPERT mode is for? If so, I'd love to test that out - but first I must master UNISON mode.

Any insight on how the MIDI is routed and how to set up correctly for this mode would continue being a great help, thanks again Rudy!

VL-Wizard

Post by VL-Wizard » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:35 am

You are correct that the PLG cards in the S90 can only listen to one midi channel (when S90 is in voice mode)...
VL-Wizard can only route the appropriate VL path (sysex) to the PLGVL card based on the Device ID number of that PLGVL card. With other words. all your PLGVL cards in the S90 are listening to the same Midi in for note on/off and when they receive sysex the DEV ID is deciding which PLG card loads the voice.

Therefore S90 VOICE mode will always trigger ALL your PLGVL cards at the same time, but each VL card might have loaded a different voice. Therefore in Poly mode the lower key or first key will trigger the sound of the first PLG VL card, the second key will trigger the second PLGVL etc..

Now, there is a trick to fool the S90 so that you can trigger ...but I did not experiment enough with it..
Actually you can switch the S90 in performance mode, load on each slot a PLGVL and load a voice into it...you can then use the note range to split the keyboard over the PLGVL.... or switch the Part ON/OFF... kind of multi mode.

EXPERT mode is telling the VL-Wizard not to send switch to Mono or Poly etc...it also avoids the part assignment. So, it leaves it up to the user to do all settings...and VL-Wizard will not overrule them....

hope this helps...looking forward to your S90ES adventure....
Rudy

doggyaugie

Post by doggyaugie » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:00 pm

Great, thanks for all the useful info!

I will explore all this stuff over the next few weekends and share the findings of my experiments!