2nd VL Card, Happy + Questions

Post here your generic questions...
puremusic

2nd VL Card, Happy + Questions

Post by puremusic » Thu May 02, 2019 8:26 pm

My second VL card arrived today, this one I have is a 150, and I have the privilege of receiving the original box unopened if a bit weathered. It's now very carefully opened and installed on my Motif Rack ES.

I am enjoying the duophonic flute now, I am sure I will want to get more in the future. I'm pretty sure I'll want 4 note polyphony so I can have a backing three note cord, and a lead note. I'll just keep watching the gear sites. I'm as happy as if I had a duophonic CS! :D

Is it possible to setup an MU2000 and a Motif Rack ES for a 4 note polyphony combo with VL cards? Or do you have to basically limit the polyphony to the max each hardware rack can hold of plg cards and make them separate instruments? Do a split keyboard thing?

What would setting up 4-5 note poly across two hardware units with plg cards take? Rudy can your program route the MIDI to distribute a polyphony combo like that?

Right now I think my setup is working as MIDI INSTRUMENTS --> DAW -- > Motif --> DAW Audio with the VL Editor sitting after the DAW and just sending voice changing info. I tried loading the VL software before the DAW, and my DAW (Studio One) was upset and wouldn't notice the MIDI instruments anymore, since that didn't work I boot it after.

I get the feeling I might have to set things up differently if the VL Editor is able to do the midi rerouting? Maybe work with more internal MIDI ports?

I am also wondering if you can in polyphony mode set up slightly different panning and voicing for each VL card so as to make each instrument more individual?

VL-Wizard

Re: 2nd VL Card, Happy + Questions

Post by VL-Wizard » Sat May 04, 2019 8:57 am

indeed, the hardware is constraining the midi total notes...it would have been nice if Yamaha would have included a feature like with the VL70m where you can say to which note number it must listen...

the VL-Wizard is not doing midi rerouting...I will keep this in mind for the future..

some DAW have midi processing plug-ins that allow midi rerouting ...I'm sure this would be possible with Ableton Live.
You can also consider a tool like http://polymer-app.com/

a nice trick is to layer VL cards = they all play and listen to the same channel/note/breath... but have the breath curve of each VL voice set a bit different...this way one voice kicks in earlier then another....so, depending on the breath level the complexity of the VL voice increases....

puremusic

Re: 2nd VL Card, Happy + Questions

Post by puremusic » Sat May 04, 2019 9:27 am

Thanks for the help Rudy! I understand how it works now.

Reading the manual over again now that I understand the program better has helped too.

That polymer-app might work out for me if I can get my iPad's ethernet midi working again, I only got it setup and working once, long enough to enjoy a very nice app 'Pen2Bow', and then, somehow have never got it going again. I'll just have to plug in the hours when I have the patience for trying different things.

Though I will first see if there's anything near like polymer for the PC as that's where my DAW is. That polymer looks totally useful for more than just the VL cards, I can imagine a ton of things I could do with something like it!

In fact I've been wanting something like it for awhile just to make MPE easier to work with, as frankly, MPE has verrrrrry little software support so far. I'm sure it will have more in the future, but even my DAW doesn't properly support it and I have to monkey wrench it in.