CC to change Short Length/Ratio

Violins,....
Cold Steel

CC to change Short Length/Ratio

Post by Cold Steel » Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:22 am

There doesn't seem to be a way in the Element Editor to assign MIDI CC to dynamically modify the Short Length/Ratio parameter.

That would be highly desirable as string instruments change a lot in timbre depending on where the bow is placed or the strings are plucked (up or down the sound board/fret board).
Sul Ponticello and Sul Tasto are the musical terms for describing the extremes in either direction.

Axon guitar-to-MIDI controllers generate that MIDI control information by sensing where the string is plucked.

VL-Wizard

Re: CC to change Short Length/Ratio

Post by VL-Wizard » Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:55 pm

Hey Cold Steel

very interesting topic, wish I get more of these ;-)

Assigning an external CC to the Short Length/Ratio parameter should work...see included GIF animation on what I did in a few seconds. Assigning the modulation wheel of my WX5.
AssignCC.gif
AssignCC.gif (428.34 KiB) Viewed 3363 times
Following steps have to be done to assign a CC.

First make sure that you correctly receive midi CC data from your external midi controller. This is done by going to the settings and switching ON the midi-in port(s) that are connected with your hardware controller.

1) Open the Common, Effect, or Element editor.

2) Open the “MIDI LEARN” tool.

3) Click the Record button (ON/OFF) - The button will turn red

4) Send a Midi controller data by moving a midi-controller knob, slider 
-> The “MIDI LEARN” tool will show the CC number it receives.

5) Change a parameter within the Common, Effect or Element editor
 -> The “MIDI LEARN” tool will show what VL parameter is mapped to the CC.

6) Change the value of the external midi-controller and see how the associated VL parameter within the VL-Wizard reacts in real-time.
7) Repeat 4 and 5 till you recorded all CC assignments and press the save button to store the CC assignments to a file so you can reload them when you restarted VLWiz.

You may also swap step 4 and 5 and first change a parameter then send the CC to be assigned.

Changing the CC assigned to the Short Length Ratio parameter works smoothly with the WX5 connected to the VL70m.
I'm not sure if the VL70m does not get "confused' when sending a continuous stream of Short Length Ratio sysex changes while playing notes via a keyboard (using the VL-Wizard THRU feature). Looking forward to your findings...

do not hesitate to ask more questions
Rudy

Cold Steel

Post by Cold Steel » Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:45 pm

Thanks for that information Rudy. Even without doing that and with only a few minutes of adjusting parameters after loading the cello template I found a sound that I was very satisfied with.

Unfortunately I can't share it because I cannot save (as I mentioned in another post). Could that have something to do with license checking? When VL-Wizard starts up the count down is displayed beginning from 20 and increments down a few numbers before the software realizes that it is properly registered.

I wrote down the parameter changes anyway so I can get back the voice (I hope).

Does the CC mapping require VL-Wizard to be running? In other words, can I save the voice with the mapping and then shutdown VL-Wizard? (To avoid MIDI interface handling interference with a DAW)

VL-Wizard

Post by VL-Wizard » Thu Sep 01, 2016 5:37 am

Does the CC mapping require VL-Wizard to be running? In other words, can I save the voice with the mapping and then shutdown VL-Wizard? (To avoid MIDI interface handling interference with a DAW)
Yes,the VL-Wizard must be running.
The CC mapping only works when the VL-Wizard is running and the editor that contains the mapped parameters (common, element or effect) is open.
The reason for this is that the CC data being trapped by the VL-Wizard has to be correctly converted to the correct minimum / maximum value range of a parameter.

SOLUTION: If you want to avoid potential interferenc with the DAW midi handling then you might consider to use a tool the simulates virtual midi ports and route the CC from the DAW via the virtual midi port into the VL-Wizard.