VL Device Production Volumes

Post here your generic questions...
mmtuk

VL Device Production Volumes

Post by mmtuk » Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:24 pm

Rudy,

If you don't already have the info......

Through your contacts at Yamaha I wonder if they would give you the individual worldwide production volumes for all VL compatible devices. This is not to help in some future business making decision but merely a curiosity. After 2 decades, It shouldn't be top secret info' to be kept out of the hands of their competitors. I suppose it might even benefit yourself to understand what percentage of the market is passing through the various VL-Wizard portals. I'm sure the number of potential converts is staggering even allowing for the huge number of devices that are probably mothballed or forgotten about. In particular, knowledge of top end products like the VL1's and EX5's production volumes might help in deciding whether or not (given potential sales volumes) it's worthwhile you committing time and effort.

As I said, I'm just curious!

VL-Wizard

Re: VL Device Production Volumes

Post by VL-Wizard » Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:54 pm

I went pretty high into the Yamaha communication channels, up to Mr. Toshifumi Kunimoto himself (who approved my efforts to re-engineer the original VL-Expert editor). While doing this I tried to obtain a feel for the production volumes. Unfortunately they keep this and other information confidential, Yamaha has a very strong policy when it comes to such information.

With other words, I have no idea on how many VL synths and cards are circulating. If somebody has this then PLEASE PLEASE let me know.....My wife is a finance expert and talks terms such as ROI, a lot of my private time (and I really mean a lot) went into this project...Getting insight in the potential market would give me a strong motivational kick.

The biggest help everybody can give me is spreading the word and redirecting friends VL-users to my website...

cheers
Rudy

mmtuk

Post by mmtuk » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:40 pm

Sorry to hear that Rudy. There may be other routes to obtain an idea of production volumes......

I've just read a very interesting book charting the history of another Japanese company - Nikon. Besides historical development of the company, the book has considerable details of production volumes gleaned from the range of serial numbers issued for lenses and cameras. Maybe if, via forum members and social media interaction, we could get an idea of the serial number ranges for each device, it would at least give some idea of volumes, but not necessarily an accurate picture. Were all devices manufactured in Japan?, if so, that would make the job a little easier.

Perhaps a request to members of this forum and users (paid or on demo) of VL-Wizard for their own equipment details would kickstart a database. I can't see any reason why this should meet with objections.

javelin276

Post by javelin276 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:10 pm

Hi Rudy,
I know of a way to estimate production volumes. Pick an instrument (you can get access to several of the same model sometimes on eBay) and get the serial numbers. The numbers on average are in the middle of the production run. Take the average and multiply by 2 to get an approximate production volume.
I've used this technique on the Yamaha FS1R and concluded the production volume was about 2000 units. I actually found one serial number at 1967, the average was around 1000.
I hope this helps.
Thor

thor276

Post by thor276 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:07 pm

Hi Rudy,
I've estimated some of the production volumes using serial number averages X 2. Rounded to the nearest 100.
I retrieved serial numbers off of photos I found on ebay and Google.
Thor

VP1 3
VL1 2300
VL1m (No data, I need about 5 serial numbers)
VL7 3500 (very rough approximation, we need more numbers)
VL70m 2300
EX5 2100 (very rough approximation)
EX5R 2400 (very rough approximation)
PLG100-VL 2200 (All of the PLG cards are about the same volume)
PLG150-VL 2200

For Comparison:
DX7 144,000 (first model only)
MU100 42,000
MU100R 23,000
MU128 42,000
MU500 42,000
MU2000 40,000
FS1R 2700

Yamaha Serial Numbers are two letter digits for year and month, then 5 or 6 numbers based on how many units were produced.

VL-Wizard

Post by VL-Wizard » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:01 am

Hey Thor

WOW, this is very useful information....many many thanks for sharing this..

I'm working on a new release (minor) of the VL70m editor...and will ask my VL subscribers to share their serials when I announce the availability.

Also, with a bit of luck I will finally start working on the VL1 editor...my goal is to do this with JUCE C++ instead of MAX/MSP.

you are the best ;-)
Rudy

javelin276

Post by javelin276 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:09 pm

I wish I could get my hands on a VL1m, but they're rare and expensive. I put together a less expensive version using an MU2000 and two PLG150-VL cards. I'm just starting to get my head around it.

Later! Thor

VL-Wizard

Post by VL-Wizard » Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:07 am

I did get my VL1 for 1200Euro + shipment

The VL1m (rack) is going typically between 1700 en 2200Euro

The VL7 is less expensive

A tool I use frequently to search is http://www.gearhunter.net/

I'm waiting now for my MU128 that I got for 89Euro + shipment.

A MU2000 is also a nice solution.