Won't save new voice

Issues, bugs, suggestions related to the Voice Browser
Cold Steel

Won't save new voice

Post by Cold Steel » Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:29 am

Hello, This weekend I was able to try all of the parameters for generating a voice and they worked, But when I tried to save the new voice I kept getting an error message that said the new voice couldn't be saved with no details about why. After I restarted VL-Wizard, I could say the name of the new voice in the list but when I clicked on it to load it I was told that it couldn't be loaded.

VL-Wizard

Re: Won't save new voice

Post by VL-Wizard » Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:44 pm

Hey

Not sure why this happens...can you provide me the exact name of the voice DISPLAY NAME + ELEMENT NAME. This way I can verify if forbidden characters in the filename caused the issue.
It might also happen that the editing buffer of the VL-Wizard got corrupted somehow.... I will see how to improve the error handling for when such problem occurs...

Questions:
Did you have this issue with other voices or did this happen only once?
Did you edit for a long time without saving ?

TIP: HOW CAN YOU RESTORE A VOICE VIA THE VL70m CURRENT MEMORY :
If for some reasons the Voice could not be saved you can always restore it when it is still actively loaded into the CURRENT memory of the VL70m. This is how:
- restart the VL-Wizard and do NOT load any voice.
- perform a CURRENT VOICE dumpout towards the VL-Wizard. This is done by using the VL70m frontpanel menu.
- the VL-Wizard will fill it's editing buffer with the voice sysex data that is being received on it midi-in port.
- the main VL-Wizard window will show an image 'IMPORTED"
- now rename the voice and save it into the a library.
- the active library will now contain your recovered voice.

hope this helps you further
Rudy

VL-Wizard

Re: Won't save new voice

Post by VL-Wizard » Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:30 pm

Hey, Cold Steel

You seem to have replied on this in another post (Short Length Ratio with Midi CC)
----

No, there is no relation with the license validation process...but if the license validation process takes too long then this might indicate that reading files from the disk is taking long. It is normal that about 2 counts are shown before the license validation is happening.

I'm not sure if your MU behaves the same way as the VL70m but if it happens too frequently then this might cause your issue:

- The VL70m unit is sending through all the sysex it receives on its midi-in back to its midi-out and midi-thru connector. This is done by Yamaha to allow chaining VL70m units.
- The VL-Wizard has a mechanism to protect its midi-port from sysex data that is being returned by the VL70m.
- Although intensively tested, it could be that the VL-Wizard is opening it's midi-in port too quickly, and that the returning VL70m sysex data is sneaking into to the editing buffer causing a corruption of data.
- When the sysex dump interval of the VL70m unit is set too high then it will slowly let through the sysex it received and therefore bypass the midi-in port protection of the VL-Wizard.

POSSIBLE SOLUTION: Verify the sysex dump interval on your VL70m, I advice to set it to 50 for best results. This way the VL70m returns its sysex faster within the time windows of the VL-Wizard.
Sysex Dump Interval VL70m.png
Sysex Dump Interval VL70m.png (22.14 KiB) Viewed 3286 times
if the above does not solve your issue then, please send me a screenshot of your settings (important: us my personal e-mail address for this so that no license information is shared on this forum).

hope this helps
Rudy

VL-Wizard

SOLUTION: Won't save new voice

Post by VL-Wizard » Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:10 am

I could replicate the problem on a WINDOWS PC. “One error occurred, could not write voice to disk”
ERROR Could not write voice.png
ERROR Could not write voice.png (33.63 KiB) Viewed 3257 times
SOLUTION: Install the latest JAVA 32BIT Runtime on your PC and restart VL-Wizard after that the JAVA installation is completed
Hereby the link to the JAVA Runtime http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/ ... 33155.html

The need for installing the JAVA runtime will be resolved in the next release.

kind regards
Rudy