"Bugs" Yamaha VL series

All topics related to issues, bugs, suggestions
FantomX

"Bugs" Yamaha VL series

Post by FantomX » Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:26 pm

Example: Patch: Hey! Kenny (Element - Soprano 3) This patch (like many others) seems to be made of two elements that have "legato" between notes, nay, portamento sounds really bad! Starting from grade C1-B3, C4-C7, legato and portamento there, but if you play two notes of these intervals (Example - play Trill phrases between notes Bb3 - C4) no legato, portamento very bad! Question: VI Wizard can fix this problem? Balkan and Eastern music legato and portamento is essential, and this problem prevents me from using certain patches on Yamaha VL7. I'll give an example of patch that does not have this "bug": Clarinet 2 (element - Clarinet 2)
Attachments
Example.jpg
Example.jpg (66.34 KiB) Viewed 3057 times

VL-Wizard

Re: "Bugs" Yamaha VL series

Post by VL-Wizard » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:31 pm

I think this issue is related to the 1st harmonic damp settings of the voice...

When playing the interval Bb3 - C4 you are actually switching the VL model into another damping mode. This is causing the pipe/string length buffer to change...such carry over between the modes does have an influence on how the legato/portamento is calculated. It also influences the changes in the timbre...

Sounds that use different modes are much more complex to model. The VL1 does solve this issue by using 2 elements, one nicely working in the lower mode and one on the higher mode..

You do not have this issue with the clarinet because it has a smooth tuning curve. With other words, the voices that sound consistent in their full ranges are voices that do not switch their tuning buffer length at the 1st harmonic damping setting.

Hereby a tuning buffer graph of voices that have the issue you are talking about...I did not find a good way to resolve this from a sound design point of view...

Conclusion: I tend to agree that this is a "hick-up" in the VL model.

1st harmonic damp.jpeg
1st harmonic damp.jpeg (172.52 KiB) Viewed 3044 times

FantomX

Post by FantomX » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:14 pm

I listened very carefully this demo https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNxzWDDehr8 ! And Yamaha VL1 is the same problem. 1.38-1.39 minute, person, play Trill phrases Between F3 - A3 (hear no legato between two notes)! I tested this saxophone (Jazz Sax)! It is divided into two intervals C1-F#3 & G3-C7. So the problem does not exclude Yamaha VL1

VL-Wizard

Post by VL-Wizard » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:03 pm

I checked the video and you are right...no legato...

I'm still very busy with the VL70m - Motif ES, S90 and EX5... hope to find time to get into the VL1 and dig deeper into how to overcome this legato issue..carefully designing a 2 element voice (one for the lower and one for the higher range) should be able to deal with the legato issue... a good editor software will be required to set correctly the keyscale/breakpoints of each element.

an interesting challenge that needs more investigation....

FantomX

Post by FantomX » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:18 pm

O.K, I hope this year to design a Yamaha VL1 editor, and Yamaha VL7 (which has only one voice element, this being the difference between the 2 models), editor to solve this big problem and VL series! Thank you

VL-Wizard

Post by VL-Wizard » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:42 am

No need for you to build a VL1/7 editor. It is my objective to build such editor this year. Just be a bit patient ;-)