WELCOME MESSAGE

Post here your generic questions...
VL-Wizard

WELCOME MESSAGE

Post by VL-Wizard » Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:26 pm

Dear VL-Member

I never managed a forum. Therefore this is a new adventure for me. This part of the forum is made to introduce yourself. You can do this by clicking the reply button.

I'm a guy living in Belgium nearby Brussels. My day to day job is kind of "crisis manager" putting projects and organization back on the rails. This is asking a considerable amount of mental energy. To compensate and destress I run with my dogs in the flemish fields, play music (WX5 + VL70m etc.) and do sounddesign, listen to spotify etc...this all brings me back in balance..

I have one big problem, I do not like to work with "things" that I do not understand . This is why I started digging into my VL70m. I decided to unlock it's secrets, read everything I could find, discovered great stuff, asked Yamaha approval for reverse engineering their old expert editor / visual editor, contacted the pioneers of VL etc...

Another problem I have is that I hate is loosing time. Therefore I searched the internet for a development platform that is fun, real-time, powerful and oriented towards midi and audio and video. The fabulous Cycling 74 MAX/MSP platform was the answer.

Gradually I learned and improve the VL-Wizard, made many mistakes, had to restart several times, did almost give up at certain point etc...but I'm a proud Belgian that wants to show the world that if we set a goal then we go till until we reached that goal...a bit like running a marathon.....

So, after about 3 years I finally reached the point where the VL-Wizard is ready to be used by all VL-users in the world. Yes, you read this correctly, this is my now my second goal, I want to get all VL-users unite and forming a largest loyal VL community. Let us centralize all VL-know-how and I will inject this into the VL-Wizard software, that is not just a promise, it is a commitment.

Yamaha made a great synth and we all will turn this VL70m into a magical, iconic module.

Voila, I hope I did set the scene. I'm looking forward to the first member introducing him/herself.....let's rock & roll this forum...

Rudy
The VL-Wizard

saxninja

Re: A Welcome from the VL-Wizard

Post by saxninja » Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:30 pm

Thanks so much for this site, the software and your efforts. I am a sax player of 40 years and have basically converted to eSax for the past year for all my on-stage gigs. I am continually looking for ways of achieving more realistic expressions and sax tonality with my rig. The rig consists of an EWI400s, VL70-m with patchmans turbo, and XV-2020 with patchmans updates. I run these through a simple Shure P4M mixer and connect the EWI with the Panda Audio midibeam which has worked quite well and is nice and small.

So, I’ve got blended sounds by combining the best of the VL and XV. I’m mostly a Tenor player and I love the sounds of the patches in the lower octave. However, at the upper end of the Tenor normal range, and then into the altissimo range, I find that the sounds lack depth and expressiveness. This has me motivated to establish an editor environment to see if I can make pathces of my own for my own playing style and preferences.

Lets get to work....! (actually this is fun stuff )

The Soundsmith

Re: WELCOME MESSAGE

Post by The Soundsmith » Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:00 am

Hi, Rudy, and like saxninja said, thanks for the site - and the program.

I am a keyboardist, currently playing piano 4 nights a week at Clint Eastwood's Mission Ranch in Carmel. So for me, the VL70m is a studio instrument that I am planning on controlling with a new fretless midi controller. I used to play it with the BC controller and regular synth keyboard but don't really have the breath control these days and the new device will let me be a horn player again...

But to get what I hear out of the module, I need certain characteristics in my custom patches, and don't really want to try and build/edit/experiment from the front panel. This editor is what I have been looking for for some time now.

I won't get to use the module live at my gig, but it WILL be a great jam enhancer.

VL-Wizard

Post by VL-Wizard » Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:29 am

Hey Soundsmith....Thanks for joining this forum...I'm sure more people will find their way to this forum and therefore contents will grow......it will take some time before a critical mass is established but I see a growing number of Demo downloads, so I'm positive.

Yes, using the VL70m front panel parameters is a painful process, on top of this these parameters are limited and do allow to get the best out of your VL70m. This is why the VL-Wizard includes all front panel-, effect-, system-and VL-element parameters

The nice thing is that the VL-wizard allows you to learn and discover the VL possibilities step by step....I'm learning every day....

also, the editor contains a snippet tool...this is very useful when you want to reload a certain group of predefined parameters into a newly loaded voice.

This snippet tool is used to capture, store and recall the parameter values. You can capture a multiple parameter values by activating the check-box of one or more parameter groups and press the save button to store these parameters into a file on your disk. You can then load a new voice and use the snippet tool to recall the parameter values you stored away on your disk. A typical scenario could be that you used the snippet tool to store away the EQ settings of your favorite Alto-Sax patch. When you then load another alto-sax patch into the VL-Wizard you can recall the previously stored EQ settings of your favorite alto-sax patch.
b_Snippet.png
b_Snippet.png (44.54 KiB) Viewed 6424 times
enjoy the rebirth of your VL70m
Rudy

Cold Steel

Post by Cold Steel » Sat Jul 30, 2016 10:41 am

I just recently discovered VL-Wizard and am amazed and grateful. I had always thought that physical modeling offered the best possibilities for electronic musicians and ordered a Yamaha MU100R with the VL card when they first came out. But over the years so little had been said about this technology that I thought I might be only dedicated user in the world. Some of the factory sounds are fantastic but we badly needed a good editor. And without software the card on the MU100R is pretty much hobbled where you can't even save your controller setup.

I ended up purchasing 3 MU100R units each with a VL card to be able to play polyphonically using an Axon guitar-to-MIDI converter. A MOTU MIDI interface allows different string to voice configurations to be chosen based on which strings I want to have priority at any moment.

Which Yamaha rack units can host multiple VL cards? The MU100R can only host one so it might more efficient to use a different machine.

I intend to get deep into creating or refining VL instruments and will offer the sounds here. String instruments have potential in the VL but need work on the programming side in my opinion. By the way, I started developing a physical model platform myself for string instruments using differential equations but lacked the time to carry the project forward.

I write, perform and record classical music, electronic music, progressive rock, jazz and fusion among other things.

Here is a purely acoustic rendition of a well known classical piece: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGsaPntkIOo

Many thanks to Rudy for resurrecting VL technology!

VL-Wizard

Post by VL-Wizard » Sat Jul 30, 2016 12:09 pm

Hey Cold Steel

The Yamaha S90 can hold 3 PLGVL cards and has a BC input...I have such a working setup. The MU2000 is also a unit that can hold 3 cards but this unit is not easy to get hold of in Europe and you need to ensure it has the latest OS installed.

A great synth for mono VL is the EX5. It has a build-in VL and can store 16 user voices and a fantastic effects engine.

The VL modelling is actually based on derived from string simulation, but Yamaha R&D extended this for Wind instruments. So, if you really want to dig into VL then visit the website of professor Julius Smith, he was helped Yamaha in the VL design https://ccrma.stanford.edu/~jos/ .

Professor Julius Smith is a very kind and helpful person. He strongly recommend to read his third book as because this covers the VL and more. Physical Audio Signal Processing. (see Amazon).

Also, if you are only looking for Physical Modelling of strings then the AAS VST are fantastic. I have them all. The only warning is that they are CPU hungry.

by the way,
- I have a user (who calls himself a VL addict) that has 4 x VL70m hooked up in Poly mode and playing alternative scales.

- If you want a super controller for strings then check out the ROLI. https://roli.com/products/seaboard-grand. I have plans to buy one. It also includes a fantastic synth https://roli.com/equator

- Another great innovatie tool for performance and expression is the Leap Motion controller https://www.leapmotion.com/. This controller has 3 infrared cameras and converts all details changes of both hands into data. An application called GECO does cover all movements to any kind of Midi CC signal of OSC.

Overall I see a great movement toward more expressive software synths and more sensitive controllers allowing us to make music with a deeper feeling and realism, but all my tests show that most of these are still CPU hungry.....Therefore the VL70m / PLGVL has still a real purpose, it take a heavy load away from the computer and it is rock-solid for live performances.

cheers
Rudy.

Cold Steel

Post by Cold Steel » Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:58 am

Hi Rudy, Thanks for all that information. I ordered the book from Amazon. The Leap Motion controller is especially interesting as it could be placed on a guitar body to monitor a player's picking hand. The Axon is an interesting controller as it not only translates picking intensity to velocity but senses where on the string you plucked the note and translates that to another MIDI controller. I think I tried out the AAS modeling and thought it was very good (but not perfect). May have to try it out again. Is it Arturia who offers a horn modeling plugin of good quality? The demos are impressive.

VL-Wizard

Post by VL-Wizard » Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:46 am

Hey Cold Steel

Be aware, the length of the cable to connect the Leap Motion to the computer is limited, to use this controller for guitar might be a challenge...

A good and simple control for Guitar is following https://www.thomann.de/nl/source_audio_hot_hand_usb.htm. Ofcourse an Axon will do better...

I did download the Aturia Brass but an e-licenser is needed to get it running.....I sax that it is a discontinued product.....

The AAS string studio and Chromaphone are tools I use a lot...straighforward....

cheers

Cold Steel

Post by Cold Steel » Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:38 pm

I've had just a few minutes to start experimenting with VL-Wizard. The MU100R that it's talking to displays a nice hello message when it starts up and I when I change effects types the MU100R LCD changes according to the new effect setting. But usually it requires 2 clicks on the setting in VL-Wizard to get the MU100R to visibly change to the new setting.

I haven't taken the time to listen yet (because the danger is staying up way too late into the night with this great technology :) When a new voice is loaded into the MU100R, should the voice name on the LCD change to reflect the name of the loaded voice?

VL-Wizard

Post by VL-Wizard » Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:56 pm

Hey Cold Steel...

About the voice name not being displayed on the MU.
The fact that the voice name does not appear on the MU display is normal. This is also the case for the EX5r, S90, Motif EX. The reason for this is that each Yamaha synth uses a different sysex address to display the voice name. I will consider an enhancement in the upcoming version to deal with this....

About the need to double click before sending a command
This is strange, normally the VL-Wizard sends immediately the sysex command of the selected parameter. Does the issue only happen with the Effects editor? I need a bit more info to be able to understand the "issue".

rgds
Rudy